U.S. Shipper's Export Declaration (SED)

SED is the acronym for U.S. Shipper's Export Declarations.

According to U.S. customs regulations, all export shipments MUST be declared to the U.S. Census Bureau by filing SED in AES at www.aesdirect.gov

In order to comply with the U.S. Customs export regulation, international shipping companies enforce the condition on all export from the USA: NO DOCS-NO LOAD. I.e. presentation of required shipping documents, INCLUDING Proof of AES Filing (ITN#) or AES Exemption Legend, must be submitted to international shipping company (international ocean freight carrier: NVOCC or VOCC) used for an international shipping no later than in 72 hours prior to the sea freight shipment departs from the USA.

Sea freight shipments without SED (if not an exempt) CANNOT be released to the export, subject to withhold and penalties related to lack of providing of proper export documentation.

Typical Exempts from filing SED (in general):

How to file SED?

Our online booking form provides options on filing SED:

  1. Shippers may file SED online in www.aesdirect.gov on their own. We MUST receive SED's AES ITN prior to cargo being delivered to the international ocean freight carrier's shipping terminal.
  2. Otherwise we may file SED on international shippers behalf based on the commodity description provided in international shipping documents for the fee $35.00 up to TWO Harmonized Tariff numbers. $15.00 per Harmonized Tariff number thereafter.

If you are requesting us to file SED on your behalf, then in order to do so we must have from you at least:

  1. A valued packing list or commercial invoice, which contain: commodity description (1), value of your international shipment in USD (2), (3)estimated weight, (4)volume NOTE: Shippers MAY submit these international shipping documents online via link in our email with international shipping instructions. Shipper may want to try this simple form online in order to submit your valued packing list or proforma commercial invoice.
  2. U.S. federal tax ID (EIN) or, for not U.S. residents, a copy of foreign passport.

How to obtain EIN for SED filing?

IMPORTANT NOTE FROM U.S. CUSTOMS: Social Security Numbers (SSN) will not be accepted as a valid USPPI ID as of December 3, 2009:

According to the U.S. Census Bureau / U.S. Customs and Border Protection regulation and per the Foreign Trade Regulations (FTR) Social Security Numbers (SSN) will NOT be accepted as a valid USPPI ID as of December 3, 2009. Any Authorized Agent that files on behalf of customers using an SSN as the USPPI ID need to notify their customers that they need to obtain an Employer Identification Number (EIN). USPPIs can obtain an EIN by visiting www.irs.gov/businesses/small and selecting "Employer ID Numbers (EIN)".

We found that some of our customers that do not have an EIN, obtain an EIN for their international shipping online at http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/ by requesting EIN as for Sole Proprietors in purpose …to satisfy banking requirements or local law. Then you may consider following these steps as in this PDF file.

For more information refer to copy of U.S. Federal Code 15 CFR Part 30 in this link

About Us  |  Contacts  |  Privacy Policy  |  Work or Partner with us  |  Affiliates  |  Troubleshooting  |  Site Map |  Add URL  |  Forum
Copyright © 2011 - 2019, A.M.I.D. ("American Multimodal International Deliveries") - AMID Logistics, LLC